Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie: Here is a recipe on how to make a homemade crust and pot pie from scratch. If you are like me, craving a pot pie but not wanting all the bad stuff that is in the store made pot pie. This is the recipe for you
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Dough:
This makes enough dough for a 9-inch pie or a 12ct size cupcake pies.
- 2 Cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 whole egg
If you are using a bread maker, then you will want to add all the ingredients to the bread maker pan, set it to dough settings. If you are not using a bread maker, then you want to do as follows:
- In a large bowl, ad the flower and salt give it a quick mixing
- add your butter to the mixture, mix with a wooden spoon so it will be flakey
Once your dough is all mixed, you will now want to roll it out with a rolling pin to make the bottom crust pf the pot pie. I suggest making two batches for your top and bottom of the pot pie.
Once you have rolled the dough out, you will want to take your pan and lay it over the pan to cover the whole pan. Put pie crust in the oven for 10 minutes at 375F just to cook the bottom a little bit, so the crust bottom will not be soggy when the pie is fully cooked.
Pot Pie Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken
- 3 cups mixed frozen or fresh vegetables
Preheat oven to 425F
- In a saucepan, add butter salt, pepper, onion, and chicken broth. Let that come to a boil, then add in your milk, vegetables, and flour. Stir until the mixture is not too runny or too thick.
- Once your mixture is at the right stage, add your mixture to the pie crust. Once the mixture is added to the pie crust, add your dough to the top and begin to seal the pie.
- Once sealed the pie top, put it in the oven Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. During the last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.